If you are in a situation where you don’t have access to WiFi, you may want to know if you can connect Alexa to a hotspot.
You can connect Alexa to a hotspot through the Alexa App. First, turn your Echo on and press the action button. Hold it down until you see the blinking orange light. Then, open the Alexa app on your smartphone and select Device>Echo& Alexa.Select Change next to Wi-Fi Network. Choose from a list of available Wi-Fi networks. Then, connect to the device, and at the bottom, select “Use this device as a WiFi hotspot.”
Fortunately, as long as you have a phone with mobile data and a personal hotspot, it is easy to do.
Can Alexa Work on Mobile Data?
You can use Alexa with your mobile data. If you don’t have WiFi, you can set up a personal hotspot on your smartphone. This is important because most of Alexa’s features don’t work unless you have some kind of Internet connection. You will use the Alexa app to connect to your hotspot on your device and use mobile data.
If you have an Echo with a screen, you can set it up on the device. You can swipe down on the screen, and choose Settings. You can then select the network you want to join. If you want to use your mobile data, you can choose it here. If you have an Echo without a screen, you can connect through the Alexa app.
People who have unlimited data plans won’t ever have to worry about Alexa using up their mobile data for the month. However, if you have a limited plan, it is important to understand how much data you are using. Alexa uses around 36MB of data each day, which is just over 1GB a month. This average is based on listening to music for 30 minutes each day, giving Alexa a couple of commands, and asking a few questions.
Can You Use Alexa Without WiFi?
You can always connect to a mobile hotspot through your smartphone or other devices. If you don’t have a hotspot, most of the functions that Alexa performs won’t be available.
The platform for Alexa is based in the cloud, so you need an Internet connection to access most of the functions. Without the Internet, Alexa doesn’t have information about the weather, directions, and streaming services. It will also be difficult for different Alexa devices to connect to each other because they connect through your WiFi network.
There is very little data stored on your app or on your Alexa devices directly; most of it is stored in the cloud. That being said, there are some devices that are fitted with a ZigBee chip, so they do not require WiFi and you may be able to use them. This includes some smart light bulbs. You may also be able to use some Bluetooth-connected devices.
If you want to know what Alexa can do without WiFi, you can ask her. Ask, “Alexa, what can you do offline?” Alexa will give you a list of functions that your devices can perform when you don’t have WiFi available.
How to Connect Alexa to a Mobile Hotspot
If you don’t have access to a WiFi connection, you can connect Alexa to a mobile hotspot. Your smartphone or your tablet may have a mobile hotspot, and once you connect Alexa, it will operate just as it does with WiFi.
If you have an Echo with a screen, such as the Echo Show, you can connect to your mobile hotspot from the device. Make sure that you have your mobile hotspot turned on, and then swipe down from the top of your screen. You will see the settings icon, and you can choose it. Then, you will see a list of network options. Look for your mobile hotspot, and connect it. You may need to enter your password if this is the first time connecting.
If you have an Echo without a screen, you need to use the Alexa app. You can follow these steps to connect your Echo to your mobile hotspot:
- Start by powering your Echo speaker on.
- Once it is on, press down on the action button and hold it down. This is the button that has a dot in the center.
- Hold the button down until the Echo enters setup mode.
- You will see an orange blinking light, and Alexa will say, “Now in setup mode. Please follow the instructions in your Alexa App.”
- Open the Alexa app, and look for the app to detect the Echo in setup mode.
- If you don’t see it, you can tap on the three lines in the top right corner and choose “Add Device.” Then, select the Echo.
- Tap on “Yes” when it asks if you want to connect to the Echo device.
- When it shows the available WiFi network, look at the bottom where it says, “Use this device as a WiFi hotspot.”
- Enter the name and the password for your mobile hotspot.
- Alexa will connect, and you will hear a tone and see the orange light go away.
How to Connect Alexa to the Internet Without the App
It is easy to connect Alexa to the Internet with your app, but you may wonder how to do it when you don’t have the app available. You will need to use your computer or your smartphone to complete this setup.
Next, you can follow these steps:
- Go to alexa.amazon.com using any browser you like.
- Sign in to your Amazon account. If you don’t have one yet, you can create one.
- Click on Settings > Set up a new device.
- Choose the type of device you want to connect.
- Select the device, and then choose “Continue.”
- Plug your Alexa device in and wait for the light to turn orange.
- Connect your computer or your smartphone to a network that uses the format “Amazon-XXX.”
- In your browser, click on “Continue.”
- Choose the network you want Alexa to connect to.
- Enter your password, and then click on “Connect.”
- Your Alexa device should connect to the network.
Alexa Won’t Connect to Hotspot: What to Do
There are several reasons why your Alexa might not connect to your hotspot. Fortunately, there are ways that you can resolve this problem.
- If this is the first time that you have set up your Alexa, you may need to set it up first before you can connect to the hotspot.
- You should also make sure that your Alexa app is updated, and you need to make sure that your hotspot is turned on and available.
- If you have checked all of these requirements and you are not able to connect to your hotspot, you can try opening your phone to the hotspot screen in the settings. Turn the hotspot off and then turn it back on again, and it may pop up.
- Another option is to restart your Alexa device. Sometimes this will solve the problem. Then, go through the setup process again. If your Alexa app is not updated, it may not connect to the hotspot. You can check to see if an update is available. Then, try it again.
As long as your mobile hotspot is working and turned on, you should be able to connect Alexa to your hotspot by following the steps above.
You can connect Alexa to the hotspot on your mobile device and use it when WiFi isn’t available. You do need some form of Internet connection to use Alexa, but it will work the same whether it is a WiFi connection or a mobile hotspot.
Mike is a professional blog writer and one of his favorite topics to write about is home automation. In his spare time, he loves improving his own house with the latest and greatest devices which save him loads of time.