The Ring doorbell has revolutionized home security and doorbells. The doorbell does more than just ring, it has tons of features including video surveillance. So, you know exactly who is at your door without having to move. Besides ease, you also get a ton of safety services to protect your home from theft.
Why is your Ring doorbell light on? This is a normal state of your doorbell since it uses a color system to indicate different processes. The light will stay on at all times, giving you an indication that the doorbell is functioning well, for example when the doorbell is recording or has detected some motion. If your doorbell doesn’t light up, check the battery, cables, WiFi connection, voltage, and factory reset it.
The doorbell features a light, which is used to inform users when it loses WiFi connection or is running low on battery. If the light stays on, it is notifying you of a problem that needs to be resolved. We have the full rundown on exactly what to do when your Ring doorbell light stays on.
What Do The Lights On Ring Doorbell Mean?
The Ring doorbell features three colored lights: blue, red, and white. The blue light is for various elements of the doorbell, Red is for low battery, and white is for WiFi connectivity.
If your doorbell’s light flashes white, then the doorbell is not connected to WiFi. To fix this, you can:
- Restart your WiFi router.
- In most cases, that should resolve the problem, if not then you check to make sure that the Ring app is connected to the internet. If it is, then the problem is not with your internet connection.
- There are chances that there would be WiFi connectivity due to low voltage. Make sure that the power supplied to the doorbell is at least 16VAC. Once it is, the problem should be resolved.
Make sure that all the wires are plugged in properly into the router. Loose wires will allow you to connect to the WiFi as long as the router is powered on, but won’t give access to the internet.
When it comes to blue light flashing, there could be numerous reasons behind it. Below are the main reasons:
- Blue light moving upward, the doorbell is connecting to the network.
- Blue light flashes on and off, the doorbell is booting up the peephole camera.
- The blue light is solid, no flashing, the speakers are enabled.
- Blue light flashes and turns white, the doorbell is factory restored.
The blue light serves mostly as a means to notify you of certain features or status of the doorbell. There isn’t necessarily anything you need to do to change it.
When the doorbell displays a solid or flashing red light it is trying to notify you that the battery is low. You have two options, either replace or recharge the battery.
Why Is My Ring Doorbell Light Staying On?
Ring has designed its doorbell to notify of its status through its light.
The light will stay on at all times, giving you an indication that the doorbell is functioning well. For example, when the light is constantly white, it means that the doorbell is functioning well and everything is in order.
Is My Ring Doorbell Supposed To Light Up?
Yes, the light is supposed to turn on and function as long as the doorbell is powered on.
As mentioned, the light is part of the mechanics of the doorbell. It will automatically light up as long as the bell is hardwired properly. You should pay close attention to the light, so you can identify when a problem arises with the doorbell.
Problem with the light is usually linked to bad wiring or power issues. The doorbell may save energy and turn the light off when it is on battery.
Does the Ring Doorbell Light Up When Recording?
Yes, the doorbell will light up when it starts recording. The doorbell will display a solid blue light while recording. The blue light appears as soon as the camera is turned on and remains for the period it records.
Ring’s recording feature has numerous benefits. Depending on the plan you have, Ring saves the recording for up to 60 days and gives you the option to share it also.
This is beneficial because you have the chance to capture any attempted burglary in your home when the burglar enters from the front door. The doorbell features an HD camera that provides crystal-clear video.
Does The Ring Doorbell Light Up When Motion Is Detected?
Ring doorbell features PIR sensors that help it detect motion. The sensors can detect motion up to 30 feet from the camera. Once motion is detected an alert is sent to homeowners and the bell will automatically start recording, turning the light blue.
You have the option to disable motion completely if you feel the need to. To do that, you can do the following:
- Open the Ring app and select the device you want to disable motion sensors.
- Select ‘Motion Settings’.
- Select ‘Motion Zones’.
- Turn all the zones off by sliding the motion zone screen sliders to the ‘Min’ mark.
Your device will no longer detect motion and therefore, no longer notify you of it.
How Do I Turn Off The Light On My Ring Doorbell?
You can turn the nightlight off on Ring doorbells like the Ring Chime Pro model. To do this, you need to do the following:
- Go to your Ring app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Open the main menu and click on devices. Select the device you want to turn the nightlight off on.
- Select ‘Nightlight’ and toggle it off.
The nightlight should now be turned off. The process is similar for turning off floodlights in Ring devices that come equipped with one.
What To Do If My Ring Bell Doesn’t Light Up?
If you find no issues at your end with the Ring doorbell and it still doesn’t light up, you may have to factory reset it. The process for that is as follows:
- Remove the faceplate of the doorbell.
- You will find a reset button on the right side of the bell. Hold it down for 15 seconds.
- Once you release the button, the light on the doorbell should flash a few times. This indicates that the doorbell is restarting.
- Give it a few minutes to start up and set it up again, reconnecting to WiFi and all.
The Ring doorbell’s light is designed to make homeowners’ life easier with the product. It helps you identify any problem or tells you that the device is working properly. As an owner of Ring, you should check the manual to make sure you are aware of what each light means.
If you have trouble with the light even after factory resetting it, then there may be wiring issues. Rather than attempting to fix it yourself, we recommend you contact Ring directly and see what the next step is. The doorbell comes with a warranty, and you don’t want to void it by trying to fix the doorbell yourself.
Mike is a professional blog writer and one of his favorite topics to write about is home automation. In his spare time, he loves improving his own house with the latest and greatest devices which save him loads of time.